Tuesday, May 20, 2008

New Hobby

I enjoy gardening quite a bit.


In college, I wanted a flowering plant in my room. So I bought this kit at Target with a bulb, a vase and these clear crystals that expand with water (instead of dirt). The flower never got to the blooming stage (I can't remember why!), the crystals smelled awful over time and when I cleaned out the vase in the utility sink in the dorm bathroom, the crystals re-expanded and clogged the drain.


When we rented, I tried to transform this little space in front of the duplex into a flower bed. I think it could have been more successful, but I bought packets of mixed flowers -- so I never could tell what was a weed and what was a going to someday bloom into a flower. It eventually was overcome with weeds.


Last year, we were so busy with indoor renovation projects, that I didn't get a chance to work outside. And someone before us thought that red lava rocks would be a good filler in 2 of the flower beds. The other bed was WAY overgrown. I did pull some weeds and bought a few flowers at the farmer's market because it needed some color.


THIS SPRING will hopefully be a turning point in my pursuit making something beautiful! I still don't have my "master plan" for the space - I would look daily at flower catalogs and never make any decisions! (I wanted all of them! And I wanted a selection of flowers that will be continuously in bloom too and be perennials. For someone without much background knowledge, that was too much to figure out!) I've decided to start small and have realized that I can always replant the flowers some place else if I change my mind later! So, I've been busy pulling weeds, shoveling out rocks, planting flowers and raking mulch. I love getting my hands muddy. Only I realized yesterday as I was bending down to plant a flower that I could be that cut out of the old lady's backside. I'll have to work on that one!



Here's to not minding the rain because it's watering my flowers! :)


1 comment:

bflick said...

hey anytime you want a little more gardening experience (with vegetables though) you can come to my house, I have plenty of weeds to practice on ;) I'll even let you have some of the booty (vegis)